No place is truly explored unless we try their local cuisine. In my recent trip to Thailand, I completely fell in love with Thai food. It is commendable how they use local fruits in many dishes like mangoes, bananas and pineapple into great combinations with non vegetarian food. Local food is super yummy, extremely affordable and available any time!
Here are the list of Top Ten local Thai delicacies that I found most interesting:
1. Pineapple Fried Rice: Served on a horizontally half cut medium sized pineapple and over loaded with eggs, chicken, shrimp(optional), veggies, pineapple chunks and cashew nuts. It is super delicious as well as super nutritious – a complete meal in itself!
2. Mango Chicken: The amalgamation of half ripen mangoes with chicken can produce such a lovely output cannot be realized unless you taste the Thai mango chicken. The flavour of mangoes in chicken gives a unique sweet- sour taste. A must try dish in Thailand. It goes well with sticky rice/ noodles.
3. Raw Papaya Salad (Som Tum): The raw papaya is very carefully cut into very thin noodles and then dressed with lemon, spices, roasted peanuts, tomatoes, garlic and peppers. It is sweet, juicy, tangy and we get a crunch on every bite. The combination is very unfamiliar but is refreshing, tasty and super healthy!
4. Choice of Pancakes: In Thailand, roadside pancake joints are available every 100 meters. They offer various choices of filling like Chocolate, Banana, Pineapple, coconut and so on. Freshly prepared and served hot. And the good part is they are very cheap!
Here is a short video of Pineapple Chocolate pancake preparation straight from the streets of Phuket-
5. Sticky Rice with Mango: A soothing and soulful meal comprising of glutinous sticky rice, coconut milk and ripe mangoes. This is a traditional Thai dish and can be listed under desserts. Again this is very affordable and available on every nook and corner.
6. Tom Yum Soup: Though it is available across the globe now but it is always good to taste a dish from its origin. With strong essence of Kaffir lime, lemon grass, galangaland thai chillies its the ultimate thing to have if you have cold.
7. Pad Thai (Fried noodles, Thai style): Again very popular and available every where now a days but when in Thailand, having Pad Thai is a must! This is their stir fried rice noodles heaped with goodness of veggies, chicken chunks, shrimps, with a hint of tamarind and garnished with roasted-crushed peanuts, sprouts and a slice of lemon.
8. Cashew nut chicken (Kai Med Ma Muang): Very very delicious preparation, made of fried cashew nuts and chicken gravy in a mixture of sauces (Garlic, Dark sweet Soy and oyster). Goes well with noodles.
9. Thai street side grills and skewers: Though these are street food but that does not bring down the taste quotient. There are a plethora of grill options of non-vegetarian food. Very affordable and good portions they serve! Moo ping or grilled pork is one of the most popular street grills. There are huge varieties of grilled fishes and chicken with each vendor having their own secret marinade. But usually they are sweet with a strong flavour of garlic…
10. Thai Coconut Ice-cream- Local Ice-creams in Thailand are as good as the Branded ones. Comes in numerous flavours and presented beautifully in rolls. Among all flavours I loved the coconut Ice-Cream rolls.
Here is a short video of this stuff: Thai coconut Ice cream Roll